Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Teth

The longest chapter in the Bible is Psalm 119, which is an acrostic poem, which means that each section begings with a different letter of the Hebrew alphabet. Today, I read from teth...

Psalm 119:65-72 says,
Do good to your servant according to your word, O LORD. Teach me knowledge and good judgment, for I believe in your commands. Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word. You are good, and what you do is good; teach me your decrees. Though the arrogant have smeared me with lies, I keep your precepts with all my heart. Their hearts are callous and unfeeling, but I delight in your law. It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees. The law from your mouth is more precious to me than thousands of pieces of silver and gold.


Have you ever been "smeared with lies?" I sure have. A few years ago, I had a group of people smearing me with lies quite viciously. It was as humorous as not doing weddings on Purdue football gamedays to using other people's sermons right off line (wouldn't they be better if I did this?) to as serious as having an affair. [btw, none are true...though I have been tempted...by the Purdue football thing that is!]

I relate with that Psalm: "Their hearts are callous and unfeeling." I remember thinking, "Why?" Why would someone create stories like these? Why would someone make me the focal point of their slander, gossip, and lies? What hurt the most was finding out that some of them came from people I considered friends...

Like the Psalmist, too, I have learned a lot from that experience. I thank God that I didn't stoop to their level even though I wanted to punch one of them in the face...OK, I REALLY wanted to punch one of them in the face!

A practical learning point has been my hatred of celebrity gossip magazines, TV shows, etc. Living in the limelight has perks, but no one deserves to have their lives smeared by lies...People, Us, National Inquirer...all trash.

In the end, God is our judge. I do believe in God's teachings. They are more precious than gold or silver. For no amount of money, power, or prestige could give me the healing and peace that I have now after betrayal like that.

Psalm 119, Teth, is true: God does good to his servants. I have tasted this goodness, and it is sweeter than honey.

My prayer is that all of us might find healing...and forgiveness...

No comments: